Gavin Owens, Green Party Candidate for Carrigaline, Cork City Council, 2024.



 Hello Everyone... Id like to introduce another Green Party candidate, Gavin Owens, for the Cork City Council Elections in 2024.

Gavin will represent the Carrigaline electoral area within the Cork City boundary. As you read the following blog, you will see how dedicated and enthused he is to represent this area of the city.

Like his fellow candidate,  Honore Kamegni, Gavin has announced his candidacy via the Green Party and is already moving around the area, showing his commitment to the people of the Carrigaline area.

 Good Morning Gavin, you’re welcome here to a chat mixed with tea/coffee and a little politics.

Which is your preference for a cuppa in the morning?

Good morning! It's lovely to be here for a chat. Personally, I prefer tea in the morning.

Why is that your choice?

I like to start my day early, usually around half past five. I find it peaceful to stand out the back and enjoy the quiet morning. A cup of tea is a great comfort and a reason to take a break, relax, and contemplate.

What memory does drinking a cup of tea/coffee conjure up for you?

Drinking a cup of tea reminds me of the first cup in the morning at the last house we lived in. During covid, we did a lot of work on the back garden, which was full of colour and overlooked by amazing old trees. It was a peaceful oasis in the heart of Carrigaline.

It’s great to have you here for a chat. Tell us a little about yourself and what drew you into politics?

As for politics, I've always been interested in it and have stayed up to date with what's going on nationally. However, after my kids were born and we discovered that they were both Autistic, I found myself dealing with state agencies more frequently. It didn't take me long to realize that there were systemic issues across multiple systems. I want to do whatever I can to create a truly inclusive world that celebrates diversity. That hinges on there being a world for them to grow up in, and that's where inclusion, climate, biodiversity, and active travel/public transport come into play.

Now that you’re a candidate elect for the Carrigaline electoral area of Cork County, what does this mean for you?

As a Green Party candidate, I want to make a difference in Carrigaline's electoral area of Cork County. We've seen endless developments over the years, but sadly little else, and Carrigaline is now the most car-dependent town in Ireland. My goals are to encourage people out of their cars and to develop in harmony with our local environment. I am committed to making sure the public realm is inclusive and that we have universal design to help our communities prosper.

I am honoured to have the backing of my Carrigaline Green group and the wider Cork Greens. I've lived my entire life in Carrigaline, and I'm passionate about the small but amazing pockets of biodiversity that still exist here. With the Green Party in government, more money than ever before is available for active travel initiatives, and a lot is being spent in Carrigaline. However, much of it lacks vision, and we need to do more to link up and create a coherent cycle network.

What are your goals as you head towards election in 2024?

Despite all the development over the years we still have some small but amazing pockets of biodiversity, unique habitats and native trees. These need to be protected for future generations. Development that is sympathetic to the natural world is entirely possible and so very necessary now more then ever before.

I would also like to lead the way in encouraging more people out of their cars. Carrigaline is gridlocked several times a day during the school term. Yet many of these journeys are very short, more needs to be done to empower people, make them feel our community is a safe community for our children to come and go and have the chance to grow up like I did in Carrigaline with a level of age appropriate independence and agency. All too often this is stolen from us by a built environment that attempts to prioritise speed and commerce over family and community – and fails, leaving us with gridlock, stress and pollution.

And as a Green Party candidate, what difference does this make? And how, do you think, can the Green party make a difference to what has gone before?

As a Green Party candidate, the availability of more money for active travel initiatives in Carrigaline is a step in the right direction. However, there is a lack of real vision in the implementation of these initiatives. While cycle lanes are important, they must also take people safely to all their destinations, such as school, sports activities, and more. There are still many gaps in linking up and creating a coherent cycle and walking network in Carrigaline and other towns and villages within the LEA. 

For example, Minane Bridge lacks a bus service and even a footpath in some parts of the village, which is unacceptable. Ringaskiddy is home to the Naval base, NMCI and the MaREI research centre as well as some of the largest Pharma employers in the County, yet it remains extremely inaccessible by means other than the car. The planned work on the LEE to Sea project needs to be greatly accelerated, and a cycle link to Carrigaline is urgently needed, along with a much greater frequency in bus services. Overall, the Green Party must continue to push for sustainable transportation options that prioritize accessibility, safety, and convenience for all members of the community.

Do you think you’ll get elected?

Yes, I believe I'll get elected, and I'm committed to making a difference in our community.

You’ve been involved on a local level in various local concerns for some time now, would you talk a little about one of those concerns?

Initially my involvement with the party was very much behind the scenes, getting involved with Policy Council and policy groups. I currently sit on the National Policy Steering Committee and I’m also on the Persons with Disabilities policy group. I’m very proud to have had an input into the Policy document we had passed at the most recent policy council. I've been involved in various local concerns over the years, such as the sensory garden in my son’s school. Presently I’m helping to establish a Heritage Group to celebrate local nature and heritage sites. Lots of people are delighted to see a group emerge that is there solely to celebrate and local nature and heritage. Feedback has been great with plenty of people looking to get involved. Our aim with the Carrigaline Heritage Group is to learn as much as I can about these amazing sites and share that with others. I also want to make it accessible to young people.

You’re clearly very committed to helping people on a local level , what kind of feedback do you get from people that indicates your help is going in the right direction?

I grew up in Carrigaline and its changed and grown a lot over the years. With this some of the old village has been lost but now we have a new and growing community spirit which is seen in so many of the wonderful groups and clubs taking off over the last few years. I’m delighted to say that yes many people are happy to see us as Greens become more active in the local area and contact us for support in their work as well. 

The electoral area is quite large and spread out, have you had a chance to visit all these areas and get involved in their concerns and needs?

True the electoral area is quite large and spread out. Fortunately, I live and work locally so I get to see and hear a lot of what’s going on day to day. I'm passionate about making a difference and ensuring that everyone has access to an inclusive and sustainable community and I do whatever I can support any local groups who are working towards that.

And finally, one last questions, what are your hopes for the future, other than being, elected?

In the future, I hope to continue making a difference in Carrigaline and beyond. It's important to me that we create a world that's sustainable, inclusive, and celebrates diversity. I'm committed to doing my part to make that happen, and I hope that I can count on your support. Thanks for chatting with me!

  With candidate and party colleague Honore.

Out and about with Carrigaline GP colleagues 
dropping leaflets to the community.

Thank you too Gavin, for giving your time here. Perhaps you'll be back again in the near future and we can see how things are going for you as you're out and about in your community. We'll be interested to hear  what you're hearing at the door and what people want.


(Written by Celine Spengeman for everyone and everything green).

Popular posts from this blog

Update on Honore Kamegni's Canvassing Activities

Dr. Clodagh Harrington, Green Party Candidate, Midleton, Cork East, Cork County Council Elections 2024.