Dr. Colette Finn, Deputy Lord Mayor, gives an insight tino her politics and ever increasing activities.


At the Kenya Ball

Hello Colette, lovely to have you back again. Congratulations on your new role as Deputy lord mayor the Cork City Council.  That has put an extra layer to your already busy schedule, Id say. So could you tell about some of the things you've been busy with?

Well thanks for having me back on your blog. yea I do have a very busy schedule at the moment, as Deputy Lord Mayor, to which I got elected in June of this year. I et invited to a lot more events than I used to. So previously I would have been involved with the cycling campaign, the community garden here in Togher, Bishopstown tidy towns,  and these are groups are in my own area. Whereas now, I get a much broader reach. Now I'm going to things like the Men's Shed and speaking to groups that I wouldn't have encountered previously. It's the sort of community development I really like and it's a privilege to see all the fantastic work that is happening in the community.

That's sounds brilliant and amazing Colette, that you've had the chance to expand even further and get involved even more with the wider community of Cork City and  appreciate what's going on that's good and positive for people. Well done to you!   I've been to the Togher Community garden and seen the hood work being done there.  In fact I wrote a blog about it. Very impressive!

Keeping mind next year's council elections, does your council work concur with your goals for Green party policies and plans?

So with the council elections next year, it is an opportunity to look at what do I bring to the table as an elected rep for the Green Party. Obviously the council is made up of thirty one individuals. The majority of them are men, twenty six are men and five women. We each bring our own lens to the table. I do think the Green Party has much more of an interest in community development and community participation that has been reflected in the work I've been doing. Also influencing the twenty six men, who previously didn't have a gender lens. Although they're all good people, who want to do their best for their constituents, their experience of the world is that as a man. As part of my work and with the women's caucus, we have been raising awareness. different people encounter the world in different ways and also men and women encounter the world in different ways. In general terms that's how I would talk to people. We have the rise of the far right and there has been attacks on the library and the library staff and I've been quite vocal in opposition to that. i want to see Cork as a Rainbow city, healthy city,, a city of sanctuary. We have welcomed people who have been displaced by war, climate change as well. We have had Ukrainian refugees  which ahs impacted on our own ability to provide services to people who are already here. Always those tensions will arise. I'm about doing the best for as many people as possible. That while people are here on this island, it is home to everyone who is here.

I think that's  a lovely concept...a city of sanctuary. A place of safety and acceptance.

Deputy Lord Mayor of City of Welcomes.

Is everything working out as you would have wished?

We have been able to get some expenses for social media and secretarial tasks. so myself and a few of the other councillors have employed someone to do that, which has been a great help. The big thing is the demands are huge and you can only do what ever you can do.

What do you need to do now to strengthen your need of going forward?

It would be to get as many people as possible who are willing to help, because no matter what you do, you're not just one person. you have your family to support you and you have other people to work as a team. so I would be hoping that as many people as possible would  help to get more green reps on to Cork City council. I think we have changed the conversation in relation to climate change but also in relation to public investment and the need for public infrastructure, as opposed to the previous economic model which was all about private interests that would drive the public good. I don't believe that's true. Particularly in housing,, it doesn't take into account affordability. I do think that has been important.

That sounds fantastic and very encouraging Colette that your time has well spent in the council not alone for helping local and city people, but also influencing the conversation, as you put it, between councillors, most of whom are men,. you couldn't be in a better place, it would seem. Long may you last, I say. Thanks for your good work and insights into how things work.

Out and about canvassing

As you've mentioned already that being Deputy Lord Mayor has added to your busy schedule and maybe not allowed you to be as involved with your own ward?

Yes I'm kept quite busy with work outside my own ward, but however, we've got a Junior Park Run off the ground, in Clashduv Park in my own ward,  Somebody from the local community spearheaded it and i  lent my support to her. We're trying to expand the number of volunteers who  will help out because unfortunately, sometimes it always falls on the same few shoulders. I can understand why some people don't want to volunteer, because they end  u p having too much responsibility. The more you can spread the load the better. Well that's from me now for the moment.

What kind of help is the Green Party giving you?

I think the Green party is quite good at giving support, because we went from zero to being in government. We don't have a lot  of resources built up over many years, but we still do quite well.

Well Colette that was very open and insightful as to how varied and interesting your work is, inspiring and helping others to achieve their goals in a sustainable environment. We need more people like you working at council and government level, where you help to change the conversation and inspire others. That's real leadership in my book.

Cycling Campaigner

I hope others reading this blog agree with my thoughts. As you say, volunteers are needed to come forwarded so everyone can work towards goals.

So anyone out there reading this can volunteer. Go to Grace O'Sullivan's office on Washington Street, Cork and sign up there. Maybe you can canvass with the new candidates already out there knocking on doors. In my opinion you don't have to be a party member. Maybe you'd like to join in with the canvassing and see what happens at doors, where people give their true feelings about things going on or not going on.

Colette Finn, Cork City, South-West 087 6752697.

https://www.facebook.com/ColetteFinnCorkGreen

https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/councillors-and-democracy/meet-your-councillors/mary-shields.html

Office of Grace O'Sullivan MEP, 12 D Washington St., Cork T12NX77, +353 21 42 7425.

(Written by Celine Spengeman, September, 2023).

Popular posts from this blog

Update on Honore Kamegni's Canvassing Activities

Dr. Clodagh Harrington, Green Party Candidate, Midleton, Cork East, Cork County Council Elections 2024.